The construction site is in full swing – half of the houses have already been finished
In March 2022 the first excavators rolled onto the construction. Since then, a lot has already happened, development and earthworks have been completed and our first project with a total of 25 houses is taking shape in a very concrete way:
- A model home of each building type – PolyCare and Quartz – has already been completed and an on-site inspection has been conducted with the Housing! for Future construction team
- The enclosing wall is nearing completion as well and currently receiving its final coat of paint.
- All other houses are currently under construction, half of the houses have already been built and have reached the final phase of interior finishing.
- At the same time, the foundations for the next houses are being prepared and the remaining houses are being built step by step.
- The neighbourhood will then be completed with the work on the outdoor facilities, including the neighbourhood square with playground, the footpaths, and the lighting
A neighbourhood emerges
Location: Erf 5226, in the west of the city, in the new district Otjomuise – Extension 10.
A new settlement area with good road connections to the city of Windhoek and areas for trade etc. is being built here. Public green spaces and a social infrastructure are planned. In the future, the residents will not have far to go to their workplaces.
At first 25 residential houses will be built on the 5,332 sqm site. The neighbourhood’s centre will be an expansive square for communal use with a playground and seating options in the shade for all age groups to enjoy. Moreover, the urban concept allows for beautiful visual axis with several smaller squares as additional meeting points.
By separating a central parking lot, the living area is designed to be completely car-free. This way a well-balanced mixture of the private areas and those fostering community is created. Special attention is paid to the desire for security by enclosing the neighbourhood with a wall and securing the entrance with a gate.
The move-in of the first tenants is getting closer!
Half-time in the construction of the first 25 houses on the building site of Housing! for Future
The public road as well as the electricity and water supply have been constructed by the City of Windhoek, and the earthworks and development measures have been carried out. The first half of the 25 buildings have already been constructed. which will give people from informal settlements a chance at an elevated livability. In spring 2023, the first tenants can move into the new and – in contrast to the living conditions in informal settlements – safe and hygienic houses. The Housing! for Future leasing team has already started preparing for the first tenants to move in.