Work has officially begun – half of the houses have been constructed!
Since the start of the excavation in March 2022, a lot has happened: Connection to basic service infrastructure and earthworks have been completed,
and the development of our 25 houses on the site is well underway:
- A model home of each construction type – PolyCare and Quartz – has been constructed and an on-site walk-through with the Housing! for Future construction team has taken place.
- The perimeter wall is also almost finished and is currently receiving its final coat of paint.
- Half of the houses have been built; currently, the interiors are being fitted out. All remaining homes are under construction
- At the same time, foundations are being laid and the remaining houses are being built step by step.
- The final stage of the project will involve completing the outdoor spaces, which include the neighbourhood square with playground, footpaths, and lighting.
The creation of a new neighbourhood
Location: Erf 5226, in the west of the city, in the new district Otjomuise – Extension 10.
The new neighbourhood will have public green spaces, social service infrastructure as well as good road access to Windhoek and areas for trade. Residents will not have to go far to get to work.
25 residential houses are planned on the 5,332 square meter site. The urban design concept includes a square for communal use with a children’s playground and seating in the shade for everyone to enjoy as well as additional meeting points for residents.
The neighbourhood will be car-free as the car parking area is kept separate from the housing. The balanced mix of residential and recreational areas allows for privacy, but also enables a communal feel as all houses are connected through pathways. Special attention is given to security-considerations: the neighbourhood is enclosed by a wall and the entrance is secured with a gate.
Move-in day is getting closer and closer!
We have reached the halfway mark in the construction of the first 25 houses on the Housing! for Future building site.
The public road as well as the networks for electricity and water have already been set up by the City of Windhoek and the earthworks and site development measures have been completed. The first half of the 25 buildings have already been constructed. In the spring of 2023, the first tenants will be able to move in. The Housing! for Future leasing team has already begun preparing the move-in process.